It's not off topic if it's about beer
I bring beer back to Newfoundland, or have family bring it here for me, quite a lot. The issue being, I want access to better products and a more wide range of products. Not to get access to cheaper beer. Craft beer availability, for instance, is often impacted by geography. "Small", independent brewers tend to have limited distribution range because of shipping costs or low inventory levels. This court battle is more about provincial liquor corps making a power play as a bully. Meanwhile protecting their own tax revenue "cash cow" and bloated employment. NLC and the province, for example, would better off, if all liquor stores were privatized. Local/independent owners can source inventory from whomever they want. The NLC would still have right to its special tax charge but would be able to shed the overhead costs, which mostly consists of wages, pension, rent, maintenance and shipping.
I agree with most of what was stated. But I disagree with the privatization of the NLC. The industry needs to be privatized, not the NLC. A privately owned monopoly would be worse for consumers than a government monopoly.
I am cheering for Mr Comeau.
Oh! Yes, I didn't mean privatising the NLC. I meant still having the NLC, but as the governing body only. Retail sales would be privatised and each privately owned outlet would be responsible to source its own inventory. NLC would get to apply the special alcohol taxes but would be out of the distribution and sales business. No government department should be directly in the retail space for anything.
cagiva650 wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:03 am
I agree with most of what was stated. But I disagree with the privatization of the NLC. The industry needs to be privatized, not the NLC. A privately owned monopoly would be worse for consumers than a government monopoly.
I am cheering for Mr Comeau.
News from Quidi Vidi

You are totally on base with this as you are corre[…]

New listings at the NLC.

Where's your house?

Foolish there's an inter-provincial limit at all b[…]

Cellar Sale

Just think: if you give the, to us you might still[…]