Pairing beer and food and cooking with beer
 TonyL
I love making Gouda in addition to my beer making and haven't done a wheel in a couple of years, so last weekend I managed a couple of baby gouda's which are drying right now and soon to go on the smoker before I wax them to age. I probably will post a few pictures of them once they dry, but in the meantime I did save a picture of a couple I did a few years ago. These were my first cheeses.

And a couple on the old smoker i used to have.

ryndam
That looks awesome!

Is personal preference the only reason you chose Gouda or is there something about other styles of cheese that makes them more difficult to make at home?
 TonyL
Personal preference. I love Gouda and in particular smoked Gouda plus did you ever check out how much that stuff costs at the store for good Gouda?
I buy enough as it is :D Cheddar is cheap enough at the store but Gouda and Edam are a bit pricey and happen to be my favorite.

Gouda is probably more of a chore to make than other cheeses in that it is a washed curd cheese, but like brewing it is a labour of love.
 TonyL
Probably not a quality picture but the cheese do look and smell great right now ( just finished smoking them ) As for the OAB... it's gone now..... suffer ... :lol:

cagiva650
TonyL wrote:Probably not a quality picture but the cheese do look and smell great right now ( just finished smoking them ) As for the OAB... it's gone now..... suffer ... :lol:

Now that looks good! The beer and the cheese. :)
 TonyL
Making another 3 baby Gouda's right now.

I hope to be able to brew on Sunday.
 beerthief
So….are you a member of the Belbins Cheese Club?

Your Gouda's look awesome!
 TonyL
beerthief wrote:So….are you a member of the Belbins Cheese Club?

Your Gouda's look awesome!

Thank-you for the compliment.

No, I'm not part of the Belbin's group. I had a look at it and decided it wasn't for me.
 beerthief
I joined at about offering 6 or 7 and it's now at offering 99. I think I've only missed about half a dozen in all of those. I love the stuff and can't imagine why you wouldn't be into it. Just like the beer club there's no cost to join and no commitment to buy. Tom manages their email list too which is where we got the model for the beer club.

Foolish there's an inter-provincial limit at all b[…]

New listings at the NLC.

Couple of new listings with stock, it seems, on th[…]

News from Quidi Vidi

Two important bits of news from QV on the Facebook[…]

Cellar Sale

Just think: if you give the, to us you might still[…]