Logging those beers takes some dedication, but it's a good way to find out what to drink next. A pils from 2014 sure fits that bill.
I'm still "cellaring" but I don't have a whole lot of anything interesting. I always try to put away a couple of anything good from NLC and then open it in a year or two. There are a couple of things that came from away which would make for a good addition to a bottle share (hint hint, anyone?). I have around 60 bottles.
I really like Untappd as a simple cellar list manager. I created a new "list" from my profile page, making sure to turn on "Additional item details" and turn off "Check-in to remove beer" before hitting Save.
Then I can find a beer like usual on Untappd, and click add to list. You can upload a picture, make notes, specify quantities of bottles, include Brewed On and/or Best Before dates, purchase dates, etc.
- It uses Untappd's database so you don't have to type details. Just type "Orv..." and you can start clicking on vintages of Orval.
- I'm always on it when drinking a cellared beer, so why not?
- Finally, you can brag to your Untappd friends by making it public. or keep it private, your choice.
- Unless a beer is in Untappd under different vintage years, you can only have one entry per beer and you'd have to note what vintages you have in your notes to yourself.
- Same with bottle sizes. I have a couple of 330 ml Delirium Noel and a 750 ml, but that's all in one entry.
- You do have to manually change the quantity down by 1 when you drink a beer, but you'd have to do that anyway on a different app.
The next beer you try might be the best beer you will ever have.
Check out my Untappd profile: https://untappd.com/user/shorlin